“Everybody wants to change the world. Nobody wants to change themselves.” ~Leo Tolstoy
Unhappy with society? It is a mess, isn’t it? But what are you going to do about it? Drink? Cry? Do Drugs? Hide? Lose yourself to a fantasy world of Gaming? Kill Yourself?
There are a million voices crying out that society is terrible. But those who actually give real solutions and alternatives are a faint star on a cloudy night.
Rather than focusing on what is bad about the world, we should visualize the kind of world we want to create – visualize the ideal society we’d like to live in and the ideal types of people we’d like to be around. Close your eyes. Have that vision in your mind? Good.
Here are the four planes of social change:
Society at large
Your close friends and family
The battle starts with you maggot. It is naive and stupid to think that individual habits will directly change the world. I’m sorry, but wearing a “Hurricane Sandy” bracelet won’t stop global warming. Driving a hyrbid, shopping local and using a 50 dollar light bulb also won’t save the climate. Doing these things might show some level of consideration and awareness (I try to shop local myself) – but big change ultimately happens at the authoritative level, at the seat of power in the oval office.
However – with that said – we are on a plane that’s about to crash. What’s the first thing you do? Run into the cockpit and grab the controls? No. You need to put on your oxygen mask soldier, or else you won’t even be able to think straight.
Changing the world isn’t an impossibility. History was made by individuals who had the balls to try. Do you?
If so, you gotta change yourself first if you are up to the challenge. Changing yourself won’t change the world immediately, but it is a good start. Keep reading if you think you have what it takes.
BOOT CAMP RULES
To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering ~ Friedrich Nietzsche
No one said the rules would be easy. But if you want to cause a radical change in the world, you need to radically transform yourself. The idea of “you’re wonderful as you are” is a selfish modern meme that translates into “It’s okay if you’re an obnoxious, dumb fuck. Keep on eatin those cheesy poofs ya fat bastard!” The great man struggles for greatness.
Swords of battle are forged by the bite of the flame and the hammer. Here are some suggestions to keep the flames of creativity and passion burning, while sharpening yourself into a tool for war.
- Turn Your Body Into a Weapon: Get a Gym Membership, Take a self defense/martial arts/ boxing class. Make some kind of commitment to physical activity. You are often more committed to exercise when you are paying for it or are taking a class with a friend. Physical exercise will give you confidence, stimulate the mind and give you the energy you need to fight the good fight. Exercise at LEAST 30 minutes a day and go to the gym at least twice a week. If you can’t afford a gym, there are plenty of ways to get fit for free: jog around the block, do sit ups in your living room and knuckle push ups will turn you into a beast. Daily exercise was a key requirement of many powerful civilizations. For example, both male and female citizens of Sparta were required to keep in good physical form.
- Stay Armed: If you can, get a gun (be sure to get a permit if you want to carry). If not, carry a knife. Staying armed will remind you that it is your duty to protect yourself and those you care about. The more you can eliminate unnecessary fear and dependence upon idiots from your life, the better.
- Love Only the Strong: “Only the Strong know Love; only Love can fathom Beauty; only Beauty can fashion Art. The love of weaklings for each other can only manifest as the goad of lust; the love of the weak for the strong is abasement and fear; the love of the strong for the weak is pity and forbearance; but the love of the strong for the strong is Love, for it is the free surrender to one who cannot compel us.” ~ Wagner
- There are many types of love in life: Romantic, Familial, Platonic, Abstract (Love for Art and Music).
- Life in the modern world may convince you that love is an arbitrary feeling that just happens when the moment is right. Yet the truth so prominent in nature is that love is a dynamic of power. A true lover is a sparring partner that prepares you for life’s greatest battles, they’ll watch your back if you watch theirs. They’ll have the candor to tell you when you’ve fucked up, but the consideration to listen when you’re down.
- Also, when I say “love only the strong,” I don’t mean that the people have to be in superior physical shape. Strength means a lot of things. Maybe the person might be weak physically, but has a strong sense of values, honor, morality, fortitude, intellect or emotional strength. I’m not saying you need to hold out for the “perfect person,” because no one is perfect. But I’m saying that wasting your emotional time and energy on a destructive person won’t make that person stronger – it will make you weaker. Be with someone who inspires you to be a better person.
- Feed Your Soul: The soul (whether you’re religious or not) is the forge of the psyche. It is the fire that keeps you going. If you forget to feed this fire, you’ll turn into a zombie that starts thinking life is only about your job and what’s on the news. Feed your soul with great music and art. What constitutes great art and music is a highly subjective matter. I’ll try to offer recommendations in future posts. My suggestion is to ignore the crap on the radio. Much modern music is designed to numb the mind and soul, to create a mindless horde of consumer zombies. Great art and music these days evades the mainstream. Give yourself a quota. Listen to one inspiring song a day.
Maybe start with something like this:
- No Weapon is More Dangerous Than Knowledge: In addition to being armed physically, make sure to stay armed mentally. Much of what you were taught about the world in the first 20 years of your life isn’t true. No clishe is more true than “History is Written By The Winners.” History itself is a complex story with few actual “good guys” and “bad guys.” One of the lies you’ve been taught by this society is that the current Capitalist, Liberal Democracy is the culmination of world history – the ultimate system for the world. That some people…and animals…and well… frankly A LOT of life forms will have to die for this system and the progress it offers. This is a lie. Our current system is toxic, from the countless chemicals that now exist in our food systems and blood streams – to the “morality” it promotes – to the consumer culture it shoves down your throat. You don’t have to be rich to be educated. You don’t even need a college education. What you need to do is learn how to navigate the internet. Keep in mind that most of the major news networks these days are owned by wealthy corporations. I will also provide links to alternative sources of information and news in future posts.
- Focus on Fighting FOR Something, Rather than Against something: Don’t define who you are and what you are fighting for by forming a reactionary ideology. You never get anywhere in life by being on the Defense. Be on the Offense. Don’t like the current system? A lot of people don’t. But focus on what you are going to replace it with – rather than simply focusing on what you want to tear down.
- Fight for the Earth: Finally, all good soldiers have a cause that they fight for. Many of the anti-modern ideologies have a vision of the type of world they are fighting for. Some fight for social equality, some fight for religion or some fight for a multi-polar world. Whatever it is you’re fighting for, be sure to imagine a vibrant – healthy planet in that image. A world with clean air and water you’re not afraid to drink. A world with primeval forests that stretch into the sunrise. A people who can grow their own food staples instead of being fed by corporations. A healthy, vibrant people who work together with nature, because a sustainable system is better than one with short term aims. Fight under the banner of nature dear soldier. If you are not fighting for the Earth first, you are not fighting for the right cause.